By Barry Moltz
According to the Ad-ology 2012 Small Business Marketing Forecast, one in five small businesses plan to invest more resources in mobile applications and advertising in 2012. As a result of their own experience with smartphones, the companies see mobile as a way to deliver a new ad message quickly. This is in stark contrast to 2009, when only 2% of small businesses surveyed planned increased resources for mobile.
Only 10% say they will not use social media in 2012, which is down from 39% just two years ago. For the first time, “improving the customer experience” was ranked at the top of the social-media benefits list. In fact, the preferred way many consumers now communicate their concerns with a company is through social media.
Other key findings from the study for 2012:
* 29% of small business owners plan to increase budgets for direct mail.
* Newspapers, with their new emphasis on digital, as well as broadcast TV, cable TV and radio are also expected to see increases.
* Nearly 25% plan to increase their budget for daily deals.
* 45% plan to increase their overall advertising spending in 2012, with just 4% percent planning a decrease.
How will your business be using social media and mobile in 2012?
Barry Moltz is a Chicago-based serial entrepreneur, business consultant, marketing expert, mediator, speaker and author of several books on small-business success. Look for his advice on Crain’s blog for entrepreneurs every Monday. Barry is also a regular contributor to the American Express Open Forum.
Follow Barry on Twitter: @BarryMoltz.
Listen to podcasts of Barry’s “Business Insanity” radio show here.
We welcome your comments, but to comment, you have to register! Registration is free – click here to get started.
- Barry Moltz: What your Facebook statistics mean
- Facebook Readying Mobile Ad Push For 2012, Right Around The Expected IPO
- Nick Harrison: Huge increase in holiday mobile use
- Go Mobile Business Solutions Launches Mobile Apps Development For Local Businesses
Leave a comment
- mobiletxtmarket: the next time you get your phone bill think of unlimited 4G talk, text & data $49.00 a month or FREE http://t.co/Ipcwr1Elp8 May 22, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: Do you have to market your business using Mobile Technology, ABSOLUTLY yes, all will show you why. http://t.co/K0509ZquLA May 20, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: Win a FREE year of @Solavei Mobile Service by #Tweet2getFREE #SolaveiCHICAGO Click 2 win http://t.co/AQEoDytNlR May 14, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: @Dontoverpaymktg if you love nw marketing you'll love this http://t.co/Y23jw3PJPr take a look and connect with me on the page, April 29, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: @avonforwomen @sparkitup add a 2nd direct sales you can sell to both the your avon customers and their spouse http://t.co/TlF0VpXWKv April 29, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: take a look at this video and contact me... 4g unlimited text, talk, data, http://t.co/vVdnKfx0Nh April 24, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: do something about the high cost of mobile service http://t.co/vVdnKfx0Nh April 24, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: #solavei members in IL contact me firstname.lastname@example.org. what to do a social at Buffalo Wild wings,, want to join April 11, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: Lennon & Maisy - Ho Hey (The Lumineers) NASHVILLE: http://t.co/FPnuIydL1F via @youtube April 6, 2013
- mobiletxtmarket: @angelaksgiles sorry for the delayed, can NOT keep pace with all that's going on in the mobile world. email me at email@example.com March 31, 2013